Brazil and Sweden consider the development of the bioeconomy as part of their strategies for sustainable development. Both countries are making efforts to develop a sustainable and circular bioeconomy, taking advantage of the natural opportunities offered, such as forest resources and biodiversity, and making use of their capacities in research and development, such as bioindustries.
The Bioeconomy Sub-Group singled out two themes for the bilateral cooperation:
- Sustainable forest management;
- Technologies for biorefineries.
- 2019: LignoMat (Bio-based materials from Kraft lignins). The Brazilian partners in the project are: Klabin SA, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (UFRRJ) and Senai-Cetiq. The Swedish partners include: Valmet AB, RenCom AB (now Lignin Industries) and Rise. The funding agencies are Vinnova (Sweden)-Finep (Brazil). www.ri.se/en/what-we-do/projects/bio-based-materials-from-kraft-lignins
- 2019: Ligno-nano (Cellulosic hybrids as multi-functional ingredients in Cosmetics formulation). The Brazilian partners in the project were: De Mendes Indústria de Chocolates, 100% Amazônia, Senai-Cetiq, and Senai-Biomass. The Swedish partners were Rise AB and Rise Innventia. The funding agencies are Vinnova (Sweden)-Finep (Brazil). www.vinnova.se/en/p/ligno-nanocellulosic-hybrids-lcnf-as-multi-functional-ingredients-in-cosmetics-formulations/
- 2020: SmartGraphelignin (Bio-based Smart Materials from Kraft Lignins). The Brazilian partners in the project are: SENAI Innovation Institute on Biosynthetic-SENAI CETIQT, SENAI -ISI Eletroquimica and Klabin SA. The Swedish partners are: RISE Innventia, RISE AB, and Bright Day Graphene. The call was from Embrapii-Vinnova.
- 2021: Real-time freeness analysis for more efficient pulp production. On the Brazilian side areSE-AMP/Suzano, Centro de Excelência em Inteligência Artificial (CEIA), Universidade Federal de Goiás UFG and on the Swedish side are Acosense AB and MoRe AB. The call was from Vinnova-Embrapii-Senai.
- 2021: Lignin as a mesopore forming agent for hierarchical zeolites – ZeoLignin. On the Brazilian side are SENAI CETIQT, ZeoFertil, FCC SA and on the Swedish side areRISE Innventia, RISE AB and Green Group Ideas AB (GIG AB). The call was from Vinnova-Embrapii-Senai.
- 2021: Lignin & Micro/Nano Cellulose Hybrids: Nature Inspired Multifunctional Ingredients for Cosmetics. On the Brazilian side are SENAI Biomass, El Dorado and Assessa and on the Swedish side are RISE Innventia AB and FineCell. The call was from Vinnova-Embrapii-Senai.
- 2021: Lignin nanoparticles for sustainable moulded cellulose materials – NanoCLig. The Brazilian partners in the project are: Klabin SA, Senai-Cetiqt and SENAI Biomass. The Swedish partners include:RISE AB, and Biosorbe . The call was from Vinnova-Embrapii-Senai.
Participating Research Institutes and Universities
- MoRe AB Research
- RISE AB
- RISE Innventia
- SENAI CETIQT
- SENAI ISI biomass
- SENAI ISI EQ (eletrochemistry)
- UFG Centro de Excelência em Inteligência Artificial (CEIA), Universidade Federal de Goiás
Participating Industries and Startups
- Acosense AB
- Bright Day Graphene
- De Mendes Industria de Chocolates 100% Amazônia
- Eldorado Brasil:
- FCC SA
- Green Group Ideas AB (GIG AB)
- RenCom (now Lignin Industries)
For more information on cooperation and activities, please contact:
- Tomas Anderson, Head of Sales Pulp, Paper & Packaging at RISE Bioeconomy & Health: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ewellyn Capanema, Principal Scientist at Lignin Unit RISE, Expert in lignin chemistry and bio-based materials: email@example.com
- Discussions to improve cooperation;
- Working on the MoU of SENAI and the RISE Bioeconomy & Health division to increase cooperation with bi-weekly meetings (since early June 2021) to structure and formulate potential areas and find ways to collaborate further within the Bioeconomy area.